Here at the IDT Energy Store, you will learn about the most effective energy-efficient products and tools for your home or office.
Save money. Save energy.
Different appliances and products consume varied amounts of energy. Many are suitable for specific environments, and are not meant to serve any purpose. Light bulbs, batteries, wires and screens all have a significant impact on monthly costs, as do appliances such as radiators, refrigerators and microwaves.
Some of our store’s featured products include Sun-Mar Garden Composters, Honeywell Programmable Thermostats, and GE Fluorescent Light Bulbs.
Honeywell VisionPro 8000 Programmable Thermostat
If you’re looking for a beautiful and professionally-made thermostat, this is the one you want for energy savings.
SKS15EAWW/SP (15W, Micro) : 15 Watt, Spiral Warm White CFL Medium
Looking for a cool but zany looking light bulb that just could save you a bundle this winter?
Occupancy/Vacancy Sensing Switch
Would you turn the lights off in a room you just left, if only you could remember? Does turning the lights back on in room you just left make you want to just leave the lights on all the time? Here is an answer that not only adds convenience to your life, but will help save you money. It is a switch that turns on the room lights whenever you enter, and turns them off when no activity in the room is detected. Sounds really cool, right?
It is called Lutron’s Maestro Occupancy/Vacancy Sensing Switch, and it can be installed throughout your home. Put the switch into closets, bathrooms, garages, laundry rooms, or anywhere else lighting is installed. The device also detects ambient natural light, and will not turn on lights during the day when enough light permeates the room. Invented by the same guys who created the dimmer switch.
If everyone understood that thermostats controlled about half of their energy bill, they would pay more attention to the important role these devices play in their overall budgets.
A new device has recently been introduced which can not only cut the cost of heating and cooling our homes, but can do it in a convenient, easy to use, way.
Watch the following video and learn about the Nest Learning thermostat and how it can help you reduce the amount of energy and money you spend controlling the climate inside your home.
The Indian days of summer are here. You might not feel quite hot enough indoors to need the air conditioner, but you still might feel more comfortable a little cooler. For those in between days, a dehumidifier might be just the ticket.
Make sure to look for a dehumidifier that is certified with an Energy Star. These models use more efficient refrigeration coils, fans and compressors than ordinary models. That translates into less energy use for the same amount of moisture removal from the air.
A humidifier with an Energy Star endorsement takes out the same amount of moisture from the air as a comparatively-sized conventional unit, yet it used 15% less energy. The amount of energy an efficient humidifier saves each year is enough energy to run an Energy Star refrigerator for 4 months. Amazing.
IDT Energy is constantly considering new and better ways for consumers to save energy and save money, too.
Some energy savings gadgets are high-tech wonders; but others are the manifestations of the simplest ideas. But don’t let their simplicity fool you. Over time much energy and money can be saved by the following clever, but straightforward strategic ideas.
• Radiator Foil- Did you ever notice that the warmest place in your room is the space behind your radiator? Here’s an idea to get much of that wasted warmth back into the center of the room where the people are and where it belongs. Place a strip of radiator foil between your radiator and the wall, and voila! The heat is reflected back into the room. The foil gets a lot more of the warmth you are paying for to the place it belongs, next to you.
• Eco Flap- Perhaps you have a letter slot in your door or wall next to your door? If you do you have probably noticed that a lot of unwanted either cold or hot air (depending on the season) gets into your insulated house through this pesky opening. Well there is a simple product that can control much of this unwanted air flow. The Ecoflap letterbox cover replaces the brushes, seals or flaps on the inside of your letterbox, keeping unwanted air out of your house.
• Automatic radiator bleeder- Over time air can build up inside your radiator, making it less efficient at keeping your home warm. Until now it was necessary to frequently ‘bleed’ one’s radiators to allow the air to escape, making more room for the warm water circulating in the radiator’s coils. By installing a simple device which automatically allows the air to escape, heating efficiency is substantially improved. The automatic radiator bleeder can save families lots of energy and money, with no extra work.
Smart Power Strip can save lots of energy
Yes we all love our electronic appliances, but some of them are energy hogs. Not to worry. There are several cool gadgets around which can help consumers enjoy their toys without spending extra just to run them.
- Electricity monitors: The first step to saving energy is knowing how much you use. Just plug your device or appliance into the handy-dandy P3 Kill A Watt electricity monitor and you will immediately know how much electricity it consumes. Once you know how much each device and appliance is costing to run per hour, you can make some decisions about whether it’s time to upgrade your air conditioner, or use your home theater less often.
- Draft detectors: Black & Decker’s Thermal Leak Detector will help homeowners or apartment dwellers discover the weak spots in their insulation. Using an infrared thermometer that can detect small differences in temperatures, this neat device will help you improve your home’s ability to maintain the temperature your appliances work so hard to achieve.
- Smart power strips: Here’s a clever and simple way to save lots of energy. Since computers usually have lots of peripherals associated with them, such as speakers, printers, and more, they probably all stay plugged in and turned on all night and day, even when you turn off your computer. This power strip turns off all the peripherals at the same time that you power down your computer, saving lots of energy.
IDT Energy wishes consumers a great summer of energy savings.
Free Energy from the Sun for Your Batteries
Solar battery chargers are a great way to save time and money by making it possible to charge a large variety of devices from anywhere as long as the charger is all juiced up.
The convenience is amazing: you can load the charger either from the sun, from a wall outlet or from a USB port on your computer. Since the charge stays for as long as one year, you can take the charger with you and juice up your phone, MP3 player, e-reader, tablet, GPS, or camera no matter where you are.
Solar charges are fast, too. Charging at a similar rate as a standard battery charger, users can expect a typical smartphone to go from zero charge to full in just about three hours.
There are also solar chargers for large 12V batteries, like the kind used in cars, lawnmowers, tractors and boats, as well as solar powered chargers for Ni-Cd and Ni-MH rechargeable batteries.
Save money and energy with easy to install double glazing
Enormous amounts of energy pass easily through windows, elevating the costs of keeping your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Placing insulating curtains over the glass windows and doors can be a big boost. The best answer however, aside from simply not having windows, is to install double-glazing, or secondary glazing.
Since one of the best insulators is air, putting double panes in the windows creates a layer of air between them, adding a barrier similar to the warmth produced from a person’s own body heat when he/she wears a down jacket. Just think of double glazing as your window’s very own down comforter.
Double glazing can be expensive. There is a way to cut down costs which is easy, and that is using magnetic secondary glazing. There are places on-line where consumers can send their windows dimensions and receive a made-to-order glass held inside of a frame which comes with a removable magnetic strip. The glass is cut to size and sent to the customer ready to install.
IDT Energy encourages consumers to think about energy saving ideas and utilize them whenever possible, to save money and resources.
Saving energy is not just a fad. It has to be a way of life if we are serious about preserving resources and saving money. The best way to insure a future of energy savers is to educate our children now about the importance and the methods of saving energy.
Luckily Energy Star has a wonderful website designed to make learning about saving energy fun for kids. the web site introduces the idea of saving energy by giving children the choice of entering three main sections; “Your Planet Needs You! Find Out Why!” “You Can Make Big Changes! Find Out How!” and a section that turns round to offer fun facts of all sorts.
IDT Energy, together with Energy Star, hopes kids will get involved in saving energy for the future as well as for today.
As part of their Energy Saving Week program, Energy Saving Tips published a video offering some of the best advice for saving energy in the kitchen this year:
Energy providers like IDT Energy know how important proper education can impact energy conservation and monthly savings. Here are some fun energy facts to share with your children or students: